What Will Happen On Stage 17 Of The Tour De France?

Joe Robinson 25 Jul 2018 A muse at the potential outcomes of Stage 17, the 65km, grid-start mountain race to the Col du Portet It could be fantastic, it could be a damp squib. Either way, it's something different. Stage 17 of the 2018 Tour de France has ripped up the usual rule book in more ways than one. Firstly, it is only 65km in length. While this is not completely unique, with the Tour including a 28km stage in 1988, it is uncommon and goes against the grain of Grand Tour racing in recent years. Within these 65km are three classified climbs, the Montee du Peyragudes (14.9km at 6.7%), Col de Val Louron-Azet (7.4% at. 8.3%) and finally the Col du Portet (16km at 8.7%). This means 58% of the stage will take the peloton uphill while the remaining 42% will be descent and valley floor. If that is ...

Read on Cyclist


More Like This

Card image cap

Tour de France 2018: Quintana wins solo on summit finish as Thomas extends lead

View
Card image cap

Tour de France: Alaphilippe wins stage 16

View
Card image cap

Quintana takes stage 17 of Tour de France; Thomas consolidates, Froome cracks

View
Card image cap

The peloton’s perspective on Tour de France’s stage 17 experiment

View
Card image cap

Tour de France: Quintana wins short stage 17 atop Col du Portet

View
Card image cap

Today at the Tour: How Geraint Thomas won the 2018 Tour de France

View
Card image cap

Today at the Tour: Tactics no match for Team Sky’s collective strength

View
Card image cap

Tour de France Stage 12: Thomas wins again on Alpe d'Huez

View
Card image cap

Tour peloton set for ‘decisive’ test in stage 17

View
Card image cap

Tour de France 2018: Roglic wins Stage 19 to move him onto podium, Thomas keeps yellow

View